Graphic Design & Multimedia Career
Graphic designers create graphics and media campaigns using computer software. They often play a major role in product design, and marketing. This is a great career choice for creative types and out of the box thinkers. Graphic designers can work in an office or from home. It is a very flexible field. If you like to draw and want to take it to the next level this could be the the right career choice for you.
Graphic Designer Responsibilities can Include:
- Meeting with clients or directors to plan projects
- Create images that identify a product or convey a message
- Develop graphics for product illustrations, logos, and websites
- Select colors, images, text style, and layout
- Presenting designs to clients
- Incorporate client feedback into the final design
- Reviewing designs for errors before printing or publishing them
Graphic Design Employment Opportunities
There are many different employment opportunities available to graphic design professionals. The industry is expected to grow by 7% from 2012 to 2022, with the biggest increase coming from Computer System Design jobs.
While 24% of graphic designers are self employed, the top 5 jobs types for prospective graphic designers are the following:
- Web Design
- Desktop Publishing
- Specialized design services
- Newspaper, periodical, book publishers
- Advertising, and public relations
- Wholesale trade
- Computer System Design
- Book Design
- Product Packaging
Due to the competition and training needed to complete the tasks of a graphic designer, a degree is generally required by prospective employers. Design courses generally result in either an Associates to Bachelors degree. In some cases you could potentially be hired if you have an extensive portfolio but a degree should greatly increase your chances of landing a job.
The Median Salary for a Graphic Designer as of 2016 is $51,626, with the top 10% earning over 60K, and the bottom 10% earning just over 40K.
Find a School
Below you will find a list of schools in your area. Select one or more that you would like to receive information from and fill out the simple form. A rep from the school will contact you shortly to answer any questions you may have and help you with the application process.